Wednesday, April 22, 2009

{Hang on}

I've decided that silk worms are amazing.  Yesterday during my afternoon class we had a ten minute break so I went outside to enjoy the BEAUTIFUL weather.  I was sitting on this concrete ledge, checking emails on my phone and I looked up.  There was this tiny little silk worm, spinning around at the end of his thread, hanging from a tree.  

At first, he creeped me out.  But then I watched him.  He was hanging on by that tiny little thread.

Then, the coolest thing happened, right in front of my eyes.  The HUGEST burst of wind came zipping down the sidewalk, between where I was sitting and the building in front of me.  I mean it was ridiculous, just out of nowhere, crazy.strong.wild.wind.  

I was sure that little silk worm would be carried away.  But no.  He hung on to that little thread of silk and I watched as the wind whipped him and his thread around.  I promise you, that thread did not come off of the tree and that worm did not let go of his thread.  It was amazing.  The wind literally lasted 5 full minutes and the worm held on the whole time.

...

I'm weird, and little things like that get me thinking.  Right now in my life, I feel like that silk worm.  All of my work for grad school, trying to survive these last few weeks before graduation, trying to find a job, find a place to live, find out who I am.  I'm just like that silk worm, hanging on by a tiny.tiny.tiny little thread.  If he can make it through all that wind without getting lost in it, so can I.

So thanks silk worm.  You brightened my week up.


*** Update: About 20 minutes after writing this post, I was leaving the house.  And when I got in my car, guess what?  There was a silk worm hanging from a thread inside my car.  The universe is trying to tell me something.

No comments: