Thursday, December 6, 2007

"It's not the same for men. Charlie Chaplin had kids when he was 73."

The title of this entry is a quote from the movie When Harry Met Sally. One of my all time favorites... partly because one of the most fascinating things to me is the difference between men and women. Ashley and I like to talk about it as we lay awake at night in our beds. Sometimes she'll even read me pieces of a book on the subject. I cannot wrap my brain around how different God made us, not only as individual people, but especially as male and female.

I see these stark differences as I watch other people try to navigate relationships. It astounds me to see a girl holding onto something that a boy doesn't even know is there at all. How are these men so capable of being so unaware? As women, most of us just want something and someone to hold on to. We view everything through emotion-colored glasses. Men seem to be a lot more objective and even more practical than we are. They want something, they act on it. We on the other hand, analyze everything and read into every little interaction. We are such different creatures, and I'm sure there is good reason for that.

But. Wouldn't life be so much easier and simpler if we could, atleast a little bit, understand how the male brain functions?! Goodness... I like to think I have some inkling as to how they view relationships, friendships, life in general. Yet, just when I think I have one figured out he turns and surprises me into a stupor of confusion. AND, wouldn't it be wonderful (and ideal) if a man could understand why we need him to call randomly in the middle of the day, or heck, I don't know.. just acknowledge our existence once a month or so? I know I'm being completely optimistic and a little unrealistic here. I know we cannot understand members of the opposite sex completely, and I'm sure life would be a lot less exciting if we could. I do think that it's possible though, for us to try to see things from the other side of the fence, and gain a little understanding as to where our boyfriend, friend or guy next door is coming from. And hey... while I'm dreaming, maybe the guys could return the favor!

No comments: